Friday, June 11, 2010

Our Journey Begins








My name is Morgan and my daughter Adell has been diagnosed with Torticollis and Plagiocephally. This is our story....I first noticed at @ 4-5 weeks old that Adell constantly turned her head to the right. I brought this to her peditrican's attention at her next appointment. The doctor advised me to change her position when I found her turning her head to the right. We tried several different things and it just did not work. Still concerned, I made another appointment with Adell's doctor and he recommended us seeing a physical therapist. Our physical therapist Elizabeth at "Kidnetics" is wonderful!!!!! We love HER! At Adell's first physical therapy appointment Elizabeth evaluated Adell and started some exercises with her. She also gave me a list of exercises for us to do at home. We do these 5 times a day! At first Adell did not like this AT ALL, but I did find that she does best while she is in the bathtub. After several months of therapy with Elizabeth she recomended that we go for an evaluation for a "Star Band" (helmet). After measurments and a scan of Adell's head by "Orthopedic Services" it was determined that she definitely needed a helmet. We were very discourged when we found out that our insurance would not provide coverage for the helmet. Thank goodness for "Alexandra's PHATE"!!!! Gary and Valerie are WONDERFUL!!!! With their help and Blake from Orthomerica (the makers of the helmet) we were able to recieve a helmet. We went today for the fitting and Adell did GREAT!!! We wore our helmet this afternoon for 1 hour and she even fell asleep with it on! Check back often and follow our progress!

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend named Amber Goley, and her son Corbin has torticollis, and I believe goes to the same place for therapy. It has been very helpful for him. I will continue to keep you, Adell, and your family in my prayers as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete